Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Strawberry Salsa Fajitas...Oh. My. Goodness.


It's official. My husband is the bravest man alive. I wanted to do something fun and was in a big-time chopping and stirring kind've mood...so I discovered/enhanced/perfected Strawberry Salsa
Fajitas🍓🍓. Oh my, oh my. Thankfully I had tried mango salsa before so I had some sort've fruit salsa reference point to keep the decision from being a complete leap into the dark; However, it was still a rather dramatic and nerve-racking experience. And I'll admit there was some radical nervousness as we both took our first bites....

Miracle of miracles, we loved it! It's been added to my when-I-open-a-restaurant list and got a 4.8 on the taste scale and a 5 for creativity (if my husband liked scallions it would have been a 5, I'm sure of it haha).

So here it is!

Salsa:
1) About a cup of cut-into-tiny pieces strawberries...more wouldn't be bad though 😉.
2) 1 tbsp. of chopped green scallions.
3) 3 tbsps. finely chopped cilantro (use more or less depending on your love of cilantro).
4) Salt and pepper to taste (I did a few cranks of my shaker/dispensers).
5) 1/4 a 10oz can of diced tomatoes and green chilies (you can also add cut up jalapeño,s but that was off the table for my pregnant self haha).
6) 3 tbsps. lime juice (can add more if you love the flavor)

Simply cut all this up and add it all to the bowling giving it a good mix and then store in the fridge until ready to serve.

Chicken:
1) 2 tbsps. lime juice
2) 2 tbsps. olive oil
3) 2 tbsps. honey
4) Salt and pepper to taste (a few cranks on both sides of the chicken as you cook)
5) 1/2 tbsp. cilantro

Instructions:
1) Defrost chicken (I used chicken tenderloins) and cut into smaller, long strips for fajitas.
2) Mix up the lime juice, olive oil, honey, and cilantro in a bowl.
3) Drizzle a little olive oil into the bottom of a frying pan and add the chicken on medium/high heat. Add the salt and pepper to the first side of the chicken.
4) After first side is no longer pink, flip the chicken  and after you have salted and peppered this side, drizzle half the lime, honey, olive oil sauce onto the chicken. Keep stirring and flipping and adding the sauce as the chicken cooks (go until slightly browning and has reached 165 degrees and is cooked all the way through).
5) Keep chicken warm to serve with the salsa on corn tortillas.

Fajita Toppings/Additions:

1) Corn tortillas (This is a link to my favorite online instructions for heating tortillas....funny and insightful 😅:  https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-warm-corn-tortillas). I heated mine in a skillet until they were just getting the little brown spots on both sides.
2) Lettuce (we did finely chopped up iceberg because it was more for the lettuce crunch).
3) Shredded pepper-jack cheese.
4) Any other toppings you might like!

Set the table, pray, and set forth on the journey of decorating and eating these delicious creations. Don't be afraid of the salsa....ladle it on with courage. It's amazing. Plus you'll feel really brave when it's all over and can then tell everyone about the bravery it took to eat one of the tastiest meals of your life 😆.

Happy strawberrying!

No comments:

Post a Comment